Friday 27 March 2015

2) How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?



I produced a SlideShare presententation to show some examples of the changes that I made to sure that the combination of the main product and ancillary texts worked effectively together.

Positive aspects of the combination of the music video, digipak and magazine advertisement.

I think the colour schemes from all aspects of the coursework work together effectively, as some element of continuity has been presented throughout. I used bright colours in contrast with dark colours throughout the coursework, as this worked in relatioin to the narrative of the music video. I wanted to reflect the main idea of the music video onto the ancillary texts well. I think it is easily recognisable that they work in conjunction with one another, due to the use of logos, photographs and locations. The cast member who featured within the music video, was also present during the production of the ancillary texts. I believe this is a positive aspect because it shows the cast member continously throughout these aspects. I think another positive aspect in terms of how well the music video works with the ancillary texts is the use of text, I continued to use the same typography therefore they were all able to link together, sometimes I varied the colour of the logos, therefore I was able to fit it in, to merge with the particular images I was using. Throughout the filming and throughout the production of both of the ancilarry texts I continued to use close up shots or extreme close up shots, as I felt that it was important that the characters facial expressions and emotions were cpatured, as they were relevant to the story line. Thefore, this added to the continuity that I had established, as the shots are all different but using similar camera angles and framing.

Also, another positive of my ancillary texts was that I included links to social network sites, therefore this is providing modern features and it looks proffessional when adding conventions that usually appear on such products. This also added continuity between the two ancillary texts as I advertised iTunes, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram between the two, therefore both of them held these particular features. To accompany this I added recognisable logos on both the digipak and magazine advertisment, I also included different logos that were not social networks such as the Brit Awards logo, therefore this is conventional to promote and support the band and the single itself.

Within the music video and ancillary texts, I would able to link them all together effectively, as I used images from the music and applied them onto the digipak and ancillary texts, therefore the audience will be easily able to recognise them if they have watched the video. Also, I wanted to achieve the outcome of the digipak and magazine advertisment being reflective of the narrative in some way, therefore this is why I used images of the glasses, nightclub and clock, as these were significant aspects of the music video that are easily recognisable and stand out. Within the magazine advertisement, I think the photograpsh stood as an effetive reflection of what happens in the music video, as my aim was for it to reflect the contrast and change as this occurred within the music video. Therefore, to conclude this idea, I made it my aim to ensure that the narrative of all aspects of production was reflected and linked throughout. This is also conventional, as usually within the media when an artist and company produces a music video, digipaks and magazine advertismenets they all link together in some way as this leads to their success.

Negative aspects of the combination of the music video, digipak and magazine advertisement.

I feel like the quality of some of the photographs varied on the digipak in comparison to the magazine advertisement, therefore they did not look as effective as one another. This was as a result of the edits and changes that I made to the photographs using Photoshop, and changing the brightness and contrast. Therefore, after I had made these changes the quality and size of the photographs looked different between the two different ancillary texts. As I have never created a music video previously and had limited knowledge and experience with using any editing programme such as Final Cut Pro. I was able to develop some skills, although I felt these skills were quite basic and I feel like I could have developed them further in order to improve the quality and present of the music video, as I feel like it provided elements of confusion. I also applied the same edits to the magazine advertisement, as I had with the digipak, but I did not like the outcome when I had finished editing the photographs and text on the magazine advertisement, as I felt like it lessened the quality and effectiveness of the ancillary text. As with the photograph I have added to the left as evidence, when I experiemented and applied the same edits as I have with the digipak, the physical appearance did not look good. Although, I wanted to achieve continuity throughout the ancillary texts and music video, I felt like applying the edits made the images look less effective and it was more difficult to establish the two different personas of the girl, and therefore it was difficult to link it back to the narrative. Therefore, this was a negative aspect as I found it hard to achieve complete continuity within this aspect of production. I stuck with the simple edits and features and although these were less difficult, I feel like the end product looked much more presentable and neat. As I felt over editing and changing the photographs too much only resulted in negative outcomes. Also, another aspect that was not continout was the tripling in the photograph on the front cover of the digipak, as I did not apply this effective on the music video or the magazine advertisment as I felt that I was trying to achieve different imagery within these.
Possible improvements

I thought that using the same cast member throughout the production of the music video and ancillary texts was effective as it provided strong elements of continuity. I was able to vary the looks and style of the girl, therefore it looked effective as there was lots of contrast. I think I could have possibly experimented with different cast members, as there could have been positive results.  As previously within my storyboard, a male cast member was involved, therefore I think it may have been more beneficial if I experimented with different shots and scenes with a male cast member, just to see what effect it would have on the video and ancillary texts. I think including a male cast member could have developed the narrative further, despite this, the narrative would have been unorignial. Also, within the digipak and magazine advertisement I focused predominantly on the richer girl rather than the poorer girl, therefore I feel like I should have devleoped and used the photographs equally. I also changed location during the beginning of filming, therefore the visual elements will have improved dramatically, and continuity would have been provided if I organised to use the same location at a similar time.


I think that the ancillary texts could have been improved if I developed the planning and research aspects further, as then I would have further knowledge on how the different existing layouts are presented and could base my designs on them. I drafted the ancillary texts and the music video several times, therefore this gave me time to have the opportunity to link them all together. I drafted them by hand and digitally, therefore I was able to experiment with lots of different images and text to see which lay out was best. This method was extremely beneficial in terms of planning and research and also reaching the outcome that I wanted. I ensured that I thought about all of the aspects of the music video and digipak and ancillary text such as colour schemes, layouts and measurements and dimensions. As I edited using Final Cut Pro and Photoshop, it gave me the opportunity to develop my existing skills and learn new ones, as I was able to edit moving images and still images to the best of my ability. Photoshop allowed to add the appropriate dimensions and measurements, as well as use similar edits during the production of the digipak and magazine advertisments, therefore there was continuity throughout. Also, within the music video, Final Cut Pro allowed me to differ the brightness and contrast and also apply colour edits, therefore visually they looked similar to the digipak and ancillary text.

I completed analysis's focusing on language, ideology, institution, audience and representation. I explained my decisions, expanded on the reasons behind them and expressed my views on particular aspects. I also added influences and analysing my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment