Friday 27 March 2015

1) In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

First of all I produced a Prezi, in order to present the main dominant ideas and to include the inspirations that I have been affected by during the course of the planning and research and production. The Prezi includes an outline of what I had used, developed or challenged. I also included links to my Youtube Video, my digipak and my magazine advertisement, therefore I could refer to the production of these whilst explaining my decisions.





In terms of the digipak, I looked on the Bastille Official Website for a source of information. This is where I found the Brits Logos and the couple of iTunes advertisements, therefore I thought these would be appropriate to add on, as they were featuring on the website, therefore they must be official and effective. The colour of them also fitted in with the colour scheme, therefore they were effective to apply onto the digipak. I placed them both fairly small, as they are not as important as the other conventions, such as the song titles or the image on the back cover, as this was the conventional thing to do.


Also, on Rihanna’s digipak, I liked the way she had an extreme close up with her eyes closed. Therefore, I applied this to my disc covers, as I think it looked effective. I feel like it created a bond between the audience and the cast members and audience. The fact she has her eyes closed also symbolises that an ending to something has arrived. Therefore, this links in with my music video, as I was trying to emphasise that the ending to the bad lifestyle has arrived. Also, to create continuity I applied the same side borders all along the digipak, I also took the side borders from one of the drafts from my magazine posters, and therefore it allows them all to fit together. On all the side borders that I have researched, it appeared that the band name and the single title were the main aspects, therefore I made them quite significant and large. Also, I followed the conventions of putting these pieces of information on the side, as for example, when the digipak is stacked in the shop, the artist and song title is clearly visible, as there is more chance that the audience will recognise it, and be more likely to purchase it.


Also, the cocktail glasses and the clock were significant parts of the music video, therefore I decided to add them onto the digipak, and this way the audience can easily recognise these aspects from the video and link them together. For example, within the script digipak, the hands of the people involved were included and well as guitars, therefore I followed this example of using existing conventions of digipak and used abstracts ideas. I put these on the inside covers, as I did not think they were as important as the other conventions, such as the photographs of the cast member on the front cover for example. In terms of conventions, on digipaks the location is usually used, for example as in the Katy Perry digipak. Therefore, I included a photograph of the nightclub, as this was the location of the music video, therefore the audience can immediately form a bond between the music video and the accompanying ancillary texts.


I changed conventions when I was applying the effects to the photographs as I rarely see this aspect used in digipaks, therefore it was something different. When I was experimenting with different colouring and lighting on Photoshop, I was able to look at different edits. I liked the look of them, as I felt they looked effective, therefore I confidently applied them. This was not based on existing conventions as I had not seen this previously, therefore I had no inspiration to base it upon.


Also I had never seen the tripling of a photograph on the front cover when I was researching digipaks during the planning and research stages. It was once again based upon me experimenting with effects upon lots of different drafts. When I decided upon duplicating the photograph three times, I also experiment with adding different brightness and contrast to each photograph, therefore I applied this and I felt it also fitted in with the rest of the digipak and looked effective. The photograph also fits in with my narrative as I desired, as it begins light and turns dark, suggesting there has been some form of major change throughout the narrative.



In terms of the Music Video Magazine advertisement, I changed conventions quite a lot. As I made the conscious decision to use the same cast member throughout, I was attempting to create ideas that included both of these different personas within one poster. Therefore, I decided I would merge their faces together. This way the narrative would also fit together, as the two people meet within the video, as their lives change. I also made changes to the typical conventions that I had seen, for example within the Ellie Goulding music poster, she has the same colour scheme and it is consistent throughout. In terms of my poster, I didn’t use this technique, as I was merging two different lifestyles together, I thought it would be appropriate to merge two different colour schemes together too, to provide the audience with some element of continuity.


In terms of following conventions, I had the social media aspects included at the bottom of the page, as I have seen regularly when I have been researching music magazine advertisements, therefore I decided it would be sensible to apply the social media logos at the bottom of the page with the name of the artist and how they appear on these networking sites, this was a postmodern element and therefore it is very stereotypical to use this, as the audience would initially already expect these conventions when they see a music magazine advertisement. Also, I included another convention, as I included a review from a well-established newspaper, this way the audience will become larger as a popular newspaper has spoken of the song in a high and appreciative way. This is a good convention to include, as again the audience will expect to see this convention, as two media forms are merging together and improving business for one another. Another unconventional aspect of the magazine advertisement was that I expressed two different emotions on one page, which was something I had not seen before, as on the left side the face is upset and on the right side, more emotions of happiness are expressed, therefore it directly expresses two different forms of emotions. This would also contribute to the idea of ambiguity that I wanted to develop further.




I also followed conventions, as for example, within the Lana Del Rey music magazine advertisement and the majority of the other magazine advertisements that I have seen, had a close up of the most important person within the video, sometimes it is the cast member and sometimes it is the actual artist. Although, I thought this camera framing was extremely effective for the size and measurements of the poster that I was dealing with and also the outcome that I wanted to achieve of merging the two faces together, therefore I used this aspect. It allowed me to split the page into two and also allowed me to highlight the cast member as the convention with highest level of importance on the magazine advertisement. Therefore, the audience will be able to establish that she is the most memorable and important within the music video, they are also more likely to remember the face, as I used techniques such as direct address in terms of the cast members eye contact. I also followed conventions, as when I was looking at music magazine advertisement that other students had made and also existing music magazine advertisements, I could see that applying a band across the bottom of the screen was very conventional. But, it made the advertisement look neat and presentable, this was also really good as it allowed me to put the text and information somewhere and therefore it did not contrast directly onto the photographs that I was using. I experimented with colouring and size with the band across the bottom and after many drafts I finally decided on a design which I liked and thought was appropriate to work in conjunction with the music video and the digipak.



In terms of the video, my idea stemmed from Ed Sheeran’s – Give me Love video, where there was a poor girl and she had to find her way to happiness somehow. My orginal idea was to have a poor girl who needed help and then a boy came and rescued her, I pursued this idea continuously for a long time, but I did not feel like it was interesting nor did it really fit what I wanted to achieve in the end. It was also very conventional and had been done many times before. Therefore, when I began filming I came up with the idea of the contrast between a poor girl and rich girl, but the girl being the same person. I wanted to convey the message that things can get better and life can be massively improved. Therefore, this is how my ending idea was established and developed further.




A major problem with my music video was lighting, as I filmed some parts in the day and night and it was difficult to make them work together, this was not very conventional as I have never seen this before, as it did not look very effective. I used a range of camera shots throughout the music, for example at the beginning of the music video when the feeling of the video was sad, I used a lot of long, slow shots to reflect her mood, to support this I also used close ups of her face to represent sadness and shots of her full body to show the dirty and lack of respect she had for herself. This was illustrated with the mise-en-scene of her living outside and having ripped and muddy clothing. Whereas, in the second half of the video I used a wide range of fast and short shots to show the rich party lifestyle that had been established. To develop these conventions, I also used a dramatic change in colour scheme, as the beginning was dull and dark and the ending was bright and colourful, as I thought this illustrated the contrasting themes really well and supported my ideas.



I did not follow conventions particularly with the music video, as my aim was surround the video around love between a man and woman. But instead I focused on the girls love for herself and how her life could be dramatically changed if she realised this. I also did not follow conventions, as I changed them, as I used words within the music video to help illustrate what was occurring, for example when the person met the opposing side of herself, I had the words “Let’s Unite” come up on the screen. I had never seen this effect used within the genre of Alternative Rock, I had only seen it used by the artist David Guetta in songs such as Bad, within the genre of Pop. Therefore, I attempted to change this convention and use it within a different genre. I enjoyed experimenting with different words as I felt like it illustrated the images nicely and was a strange and peculiar aspect to include, that would stimulate thought within the audience.



Also, the ending of the music video is much more dominant and significant than the beginning of the video. The beginning focuses on the stereotypical “damsel in distress” therefore, this is a very conventional aspect and she turns rich and successful, and there is also a stereotypical “happy ending”, therefore conventions of a narrative could be found in these aspects. My narrative differed from this as in terms of timing I focused predominantly on the happy aspects as not many music videos merge happiness and sadness together in such a drastic and dramatic way. Although, I did changed conventions slightly, as stereotypically in music videos with a narrative that involve a “damsel in distress” followed by a “happy ending” usually include two people, therefore I have differed slightly by deciding to have my cast member playing the antagonist and the protagonist but with two different personas.









No comments:

Post a Comment